Overview: Introduction to Interpretation of Statutes is a study of rules of interpretation drawn from general scope and intention of the instrument or legislation. The book explains interpretation of statutes as a process which is adopted for determination of the meaning of a writing, to determine from its known elements its true meaning or the intent of the framers. The book explains interpretation of statutes not a science but an art to find out the meaning of words in the context of a given situation.
- A book for understanding basic principles, internal and external aids to construction, rules of interpretation and recent trends of interpretation of statutes
- Established principles of interpretation have been emphasized through the new case law dealing with new situations
- Adopts a lucid and analytical approach
New to this edition
- The present edition has been extensively revised to include developments after publishing of previous edition
- Updated with landmark judgments on interpretation of statutes
- Redundant content is deleted to maintain relevance to the topic
"Avtar Singh was a former reader in Law, Lucknow University, where he taught for 40 years. He has several important books to his credit and many of which are considered as leading law books of the country. He has received many awards for his excellent writing skills in law including the Saraswati Samman and Vidya Bhushan awards from the UP State Government. Harpreet Kaur is Professor of Law at National Law University, Delhi. Before joining the law university, she taught in business schools and had the opportunity of teaching labour law courses to undergraduate and postgraduate students. She is presently a Fulbright Scholar in Residence at Miami Dade College, Miami for 2016 Fall semester. Together, these two authors have several textbooks to their credit such as Introduction to the Law of Torts and Consumer Protection (LexisNexis, 2013), Interpretation of Statutes (LexisNexis, 2014), Introduction to Jurisprudence (LexisNexis, 2013)."